Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Honeymoon hiccup

My partner and I have been fortunate enough to receive our honeymoon as a gift. Essentially, his father received a 5-night Fiji holiday as a Christmas bonus last year, and he has transferred it to C's name.

I made a terrible assumption - that we could book for whatever date we pleased. I kept putting off calling the travel agent, thinking I'll get to that when I get to that. Mistake.

Today I rang them, and apparently for this particular package, they only have spaces for a set number of couples for any given date. For our wedding date, the next available departure and stay is fully booked out. As is the next 4 weeks.

The nice travel agent man patiently explained to me that the next trip we can take after our wedding would be the first week of May. As we are getting married in late March, this is not ideal.

I'm annoyed at myself, but also comforted by the fact that even if we had booked months ago, we still wouldn't have got the departure after our wedding - it's the first weekend of school holidays, and was completely booked out straight away.

I've run all this past my darling partner, and he is not phased. And if he isn't, why shouldn't I be? After all, it's a free holiday - we shouldn't mind having to wait 5 weeks after our wedding to take it.

When did you take your honeymoon? Where did you go?

7 comments:

Talia said...

Oh this is a bit of a bummer, but you're right- at the end of the day it's a free holiday!

Perhaps you could just go away for a night or two after the wedding? Nothing worse then going home after a wedding and having to do the washing up the next day!

We went to Bali on our honeymoon, which was really nice. :-)

Anonymous said...

Like you guys, my honeymoon was a gift as well, but from my Grandparents. We went a week after we got married and spent 10 days in Hawaii!

Talia has a point about taking a night or two after the wedding. Why not try a posh hotel or something near you?

Suzy said...

Yes - that sounds like a great idea: to head away for a couple of nights and follow up with the trip a few weeks following. If you're willing to wait until June (when I visited last), the weather was utterly PERFECT. Good luck, Sare Bear!

Glow said...

What an awesome present! Think of it this way, you'll get to spread out the fabulous high and "honeymoon period" over a much longer period of time!

I went to Koh Samui and spent most of the time either being massaged or drinking cocktails. It was awesome!

ellalouise74 said...

That's a shame, but I'm sure it will still be an awesome honeymoon. Wonderful gift!

We drove from our previous posting location in Sale, Victoria, to Noosa for our wedding (in separate cars, convoy style), then had to move into our new defence house in Brissie between the wedding and honeymoon. We always argue a lot when moving house. But we had spent a fair chunk of our savings and booked 18 days in Hawaii, staying at Sheratons in Kauai, Maui and Waikiki, plus Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Oahu. It really was a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I regularly wish I could do it all again!

BossyMummy said...

Like Glow said, this will be an awesome way to extend the excitement! So often, there is a bit of a crash after your wedding, but for you, the excitement will keep building for that four weeks after the wedding.

We were living in the UK when we got married. we came back to Perth to get married though, so spent our honeymoon in Broome. It was such an awesome way to celebrate and also soak up as much of Oz as we could!

Anonymous said...

Darn it! I think still go, you'll have a great time in early May and you'll have a bit of time to chill down after your wedding and tie up all those annoying loose ends.

We went to New Zealand three days after our wedding- my husband has family over there so we did a house swap and got free accommodation & a vehicle for two weeks. Bliss!!

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com